Two classic destinations in one journey: Bali, where Hinduism is alive and temples belong to every-day life, and Yogyakarta with its monumental Buddhist-Hindu temples, built a thousand years ago. Javanese and Balinese culture is embedded in breathtaking countrysides of active volcanoes, tropical forests, green paddy fields and the blue ocean.
Background information on the destinations is available when you click the marked ‘links’. See also our accessibilty information on Bali and Yogyakarta.
DAY 1 – Arrival on Bali
- We pick you up from the airport in Bali’s capital Denpasar, or we accompany you already during your journey to Bali.
- Check in at the hotel and relax. Our car is at stand-by.
Choose your own hotel: Do you require full wheelchair accessibility, wish to live at a calm ocean and in relaxed atmosphere or, rather, close to waves and active beach-life? Or do you like to stay outside of town in the mountains and rice fields? Contact us for detailed hotel information.
- Our first destination is Tirta Empul, a water temple at a holy spring, used by the local communities for ritual washings.
- Lunch at Kintamani, with stunning views over the volcano Mt Batur and its lake.
- Optional, we stop for coffee or tea at a beautiful agro tourism plantation in the mountains.
- On our way back we pass several villages specialising in their own unique version of Balinese art: wood carving, Balinese painting or silver work. Chose where to stop!
- In the early evening witness a performance of the Balinese Kecak and Fire Dance in the village Batubulan.
- We visit the village Tenganan of the indigenous Aga people, the only community still weaving the sophisticated double-ikat fabrics.
- Lunch at a secluded restaurant in the middle of paddy fields.
- We then drive up into the mountains to the rarely visited Lempuyang temple with its dragon staircase and spectacular views onto the Great Mountain, Gunung Agung.
- If you prefer an easier accessible alternative to remote Lempuyang, we visit Taman Ujung instead, a palace in a beautiful park between mountains and ocean.
- Today is a short day: In the morning we drive to the southern tip of Bali, where the temple Uluwatu hangs at the edge of a cliff.
- Lunch in Kuta, with a visit to the famous, crowded and touristic Kuta Beach.
- In the afternoon it is possible to go shopping in Kuta, or just relax at your hotel or beach.
- Visit to Goa Lawah in the morning, where thousands of holy bats inhabit a cave the temple is built into.
- From there we go to the north, having lunch at the slope of Mount Agung, the highest and holiest mountain on Bali.
- The mother temple, the great Pura Besakih, with its many levels build into the mountain, is our main destination for this day.
- A day at your free disposal, to rest and enjoy the beach, with the car at stand-by.
- To the north west: We visit Pura Ulun Danu Beratan, most beautifully located at the shores of Lake Beratan, where we also have lunch.
- Optional, we may take a coffee or tea up in the mountains at the twin lake viewpoint, or stop at Candikuning market for some exotic shopping.
- Back southwards we visit Jatiluwih, extensive rice terraces cultivated with a traditional irrigation system and an UNESCO heritage site.
- Visit to Taman Ayun, the ‘temple of the beautiful garden’, a water temple and important part of the Balinese irrigation system. A UNESCO heritage site together with the rice terraces of Jatiluwih.
- Close by lies the Sangeh Monkey Forest with its unique forest of tall, monkey-inhabited nutmeg trees.
- Before traveling on to Yogyakarta, enjoy another day of rest or at the beach. The car is at stand-by during the day.
- In the later afternoon we drive to Tanah Lot, the famous temple on a rock in the ocean, to watch the sunset.
- Travel from Denpasar to Yogyakarta.
- In YOGYAKARTA, we are picked up from the airport. After check in at the hotel there is time for relaxation. Our car is at stand-by.
Choose your own hotel: Do you require best wheelchair accessibility, wish for extra wellness and relaxation, or are you interested in budget prices? Contact us for detailed hotel information.
- Our main destination today is the Borobudur, the world’s largest Buddhist temple. On the way we visit the Buddhist temples Mendut and Pawon, forming a geographical and spiritual line with the Borobudur.
- Lunch on the Borobudur temple complex.
- In the afternoon we drive up to Suroloyo Peak, a thousand meters up in the Menoreh mountains, with spectacular views into valleys and of volcanoes. Back to Yogyakarta through a scenery of paddy fields and rivers.
- In the morning we drive up the Merapi volcano for an exciting jeep tour over the cold lava fields of its last eruption in 2010. Afterwards, we have lunch at a resort in the hills.
- An easy-going alternative to the lava tour is shopping at Malioboro street, with lunch in town.
- In the afternoon we travel eastwards to see the spectacular Hindu temple Prambanan and its neighbour, the Buddhist temple Sewu.
- Today we stay in town. We visit the Sultan’s Palace, the Kraton, and its water castle, Taman Sari.
- Lunch at the Kraton.
- Close by lies the Dutch Fort Vredeburg and the shopping street Malioboro.
- In the evening witness the famous Ramayana Dance Performance at the Prambanan Temple.
- Travel back to Bali. We will have an early flight, to spend a last afternoon at the beach. Our car is at stand-by.
- Transfer to the airport and departure from beautiful Indonesia.
Our group sizes are limited to max 7 guests. The itinerary can be modified, shortened, extended and combined with other destinations. We strive to accommodate your wishes and suggestions!
Sulawesi 8 Days Bali – Sulawesi 18 Days Yogyakarta 5 Days Bali 10 Days