Ambarawa, 2.5 hours to the north of Yogyakarta, under the Dutch colonial rule was an important garrison town. In 1873 the Ambarawa railway station was built as a connecting point between the 4ft 8 1⁄2in (1,435mm) rail gauge used throughout northern Java and the 3ft 6in (1,067mm) gauge line onward to the south.
In the 1970s, the station was renovated and turned into a museum. It has a collection of two dozen steam and diesel locomotives and a number of historic wagons. Several of the 21 steam locomotives in the museum’s collection (as, e.g., the Mallet-type CC5029 or the D5106, originally built for the Arabian Hejaz Railway) are among the last survivors of their kind. Three of the steam engines are still operational, and now and then pull heritage trains between Ambarawa and Bedono and on a tourist railway between Ambarawa and Tuntang. The former line is one of the last steam-operated rack-and-pinion railways. The old station is now a small museum, housing vintage ticket counters and offices and a faithfully arranged waiting room.
The Railway museum is relatively easy to access. We provide portable ramps for some steps. For detailed information with photos about accessibility at the museum contact us.