A journey through Javanese culture in Yogyakarta and its surrounding – from ancient Buddhist-Hindu temples, life at the foot of a highly active volcano, to the heart of the City, the Sultan’s Palace.
Background information on destinations is available when you click the marked ‘links’.
Accessibility information about Yogyakarta is available here.
DAY 1 – Arrival
- Arrival in YOGYAKARTA. We pick you up at the airport in Yogyakarta, or we accompany you already during your journey to Yogyakarta.
- After check in at the hotel there is time for relaxation. Our car is at stand-by.
Choose your own hotel: Do you require best wheelchair accessibility, wish for extra wellness and relaxation, or are you interested in budget prices? Contact us for detailed hotel information.
- Our main destination today is the Borobudur, the world’s largest Buddhist temple. On the way we visit the Buddhist temples Mendut and Pawon, forming a geographical and spiritual line with the Borobudur.
- Lunch on the Borobudur temple complex.
- In the afternoon we drive up to Suroloyo Peak, a thousand meters up in the Menoreh mountains, with spectacular views into valleys and of volcanoes. Back to Yogyakarta through a scenery of paddy fields and rivers.
- In the morning we drive up the Merapi volcano for an exciting jeep tour over the cold lava fields of its last eruption in 2010. Afterwards, we have lunch at a resort in the hills.
- An easy-going alternative to the lava tour is shopping at Malioboro street, with lunch in town.
- In the afternoon we travel eastwards to see the spectacular Hindu temple Prambanan and its neighbour, the Buddhist temple Sewu.
- Today we stay in town. We visit the Sultan’s Palace, the Kraton, and its water castle, Taman Sari.
- Lunch at the Kraton.
- Close by lies the Dutch Fort Vredeburg and the shopping street Malioboro.
- Optional: In the evening, witness the famous Ramayana Dance Performance at the Prambanan Temple.
DAY 5 – Departure
- Transfer to the airport in Yogyakarta. Departure.
- Maybe, before, there is time for another stroll at Malioboro or some sightseeing in town?
Our tour sizes are limited to max 7 guests. The itinerary can be modified, shortened, extended and combined with other destinations. We strive to accommodate your wishes and suggestions!
Bali – Yogyakarta 15 Days Bali – Sulawesi 18 Days Sulawesi 8 Days Bali 10 Days